• ETSU @ #15 Furman Sept. 28th

#17309  by AlValonge
 Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:04 pm
Revenge or not. We must play a complete game and improve on some of the mistakes, penalties, and missed opportunities. We are coming together nicely on both sides of the ball and our kicking game is the x factor. We will be a force to contend with IF we can stay healthy and stay aggressive. I love our play calling so far and the "12 yard DB cushion" of old has shrunken to a more reasonable distance, which has made a huge difference and proven to be effective by the INT's. Go FU!
FUpaladin08 and 1 others liked this
 #17314  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:10 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:35 pm
gman wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:01 pm
Revenge to me means getting back at a team because they stole it from us or got lucky. Neither of those happened. We laid an egg. We just need to focus on this year and kick their butts. Furman by 30.
ETSU stole an undeserved spot in the 2018 Playoffs when FU deserved to be there. The way FUBeAR sees it, they stole that spot from us!

R-E-V-E-N-G-E it is!

Absolutely :!: :!:
 #17359  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:44 pm
Ill give ETSU credit, they have been able to bring back football and show solid support at home for their program so far, will many of them travel down this Saturday? Will they bring their marching band? Gville only 2 hours from Johnson City

#17386  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:56 pm
Jasper wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:13 pm
They sure come to Asheville for the SoCon BB tournament games. I think ETSU may well travel well.
I give them credit for 9K + at football. impressive, though they have 11K undergraduate students. As we have 2600 or so and bring 7K last week it's a weird data point. Their crowd is bigger but per student population we bring a lot more. Honestly, per football purposes, I wish we had about 5K students so our crowds would have 1 or 2K more. Students can get loud when they are into it
 #17387  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:27 am
Well, the QB thing may be there again... they are playing a backup QB Mitchell Freshmn #5... But the original starter from Coastal Carolina - Chance Thrasher may be available this week #15. Apparently he returned to practice a few days ago. That sounds familiar. They also snap the ball to McGue the former Army QB who played vs APeay ... last played HS Ball in 2014? 23 years old w 3 years of eligibility left? - man.. he is mainly a runner

Doesn't look like Former Miami (Fl.) quarterback Cade Weldon #11 will play this year. Tyree Robinson, possibly the best DB in the league!, is a maybe as he has been out with a broken hand. Number 16. Not any inside information there - he hasn't played since App State game. It's on the ETSU board.

THey have a very strong D. Two of best DL in conference - Player (45) and Maduafokwa, both Redshirt Snr. Arguably best overall DL in conference. Great DBs too as FUBeAR mentioned in a game he watched. Though losing Robinson hurts there. But their O has struggled with the younger QB. That could change if Thrasher returns this week.

But so far it's pretty easy to see they are a great D team but striggling a lil' on O - AustinP vs Mercer was in favor AP 48-34... ETSU beat AP 20-14; much lower scoring on both sides. This D will present a challenge to our O - be interesting to watch.
MNORM liked this
 #17395  by AstroDin
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:10 am
CCH talked ETSU on the show last night. Said many good things about ETSU. They do similar things to the DIns on defense, have some great players. On offense, the Bucs are trying to be balanced 50/50 have two very good running backs and a redshirt freshman QB.

Then he talked about that loss sticking with him for a while, mainly due to the fact they didn't play their best. CCH shared he re-watched the film of the game last year and that Furman was a totally different team. That was the first game Harris Roberts really played. AND — that as a team we really didn't know what we were doing on offense we tried a bunch of things to see what worked. That is a big point!

Looking back at that game - that is a big deal. The team that played ETSU wasn't the same team that played Mercer. We were a lot further down the path to the offense that's on the field right now. Hell - think about the offense we ran against the Citadel!

CCH also talked about "it's the matchups not the score." The coaches and players felt Furman came into the Mercer game battle-tested. That showed Furman was ready to go to battle and IMO played with urgency and confidence. I expect the same this Saturday.
MNORM, FUpaladin08 and 1 others liked this
 #17406  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:59 am
AstroDin wrote:
CCH talked ETSU on the show last night. Said many good things about ETSU. They do similar things to the DIns on defense, have some great players. On offense, the Bucs are trying to be balanced 50/50 have two very good running backs and a redshirt freshman QB.

Then he talked about that loss sticking with him for a while, mainly due to the fact they didn't play their best. CCH shared he re-watched the film of the game last year and that Furman was a totally different team. That was the first game Harris Roberts really played. AND — that as a team we really didn't know what we were doing on offense we tried a bunch of things to see what worked. That is a big point!

Looking back at that game - that is a big deal. The team that played ETSU wasn't the same team that played Mercer. We were a lot further down the path to the offense that's on the field right now. Hell - think about the offense we ran against the Citadel!

CCH also talked about "it's the matchups not the score." The coaches and players felt Furman came into the Mercer game battle-tested. That showed Furman was ready to go to battle and IMO played with urgency and confidence. I expect the same this Saturday.
I hope we get to see that R-Fr QB ... the projected starter that was at Coastal Carolina got hurt in game one but is practicing again
 #17413  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:35 am
AstroDin wrote:

The ETSU game - in which we lead by three touchdowns - kept Furman from winning an outright SoCon title, getting the auto bid, and kept us out of the post season.

I'm sure the players know that. If I recall, since we restarted playing ETSU in 2016, that was the only game that was remotely close. We've blown their doors off a few times. Let's do it again.
 #17414  by Jasper
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:53 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:35 am
AstroDin wrote:

The ETSU game - in which we lead by three touchdowns - kept Furman from winning an outright SoCon title, getting the auto bid, and kept us out of the post season.

I'm sure the players know that. If I recall, since we restarted playing ETSU in 2016, that was the only game that was remotely close. We've blown their doors off a few times. Let's do it again.
The players are mad as hell over that loss to ETSU last year and I suspect they are more mad at themselves than ETSU. I can tell you this for certain. They are very focused this week. That word comes up in every conversation I have had. If FU gets up 3 TDs on them in the first half, you can be sure that the pedal is going to stay on the metal. Redemption is a strong motivator.
 #17416  by cavedweller2
 Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:22 am
Aint gonna be no issue. Just aint.