Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:38 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:35 am
gman wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:37 am
gofurman wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:41 pm
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 433554001/

mentions a lot of our LBs and DBs by name - article starts by saying we are better at 'all three levels of D' so I thought "there is your three points of the article" ... then they don't mention any DL by name which is a little odd though I did notice they say more depth on DL
Great? As good as the Mercer defense? Oh no, I’m scared. Seriously, Furman by 30.
ETSU's defense is better than Mercer's. Of course, the Mercer offense is better than ETSU's, and Furman held that group to 10 points.
Taking away a VERY short field (24 yards) after a blocked punt, APSU’s Offense scored the same number of TD’s (2) on Mercer’s Starting Defense as they did on ETSU’s.

ETSU has 2 outstanding DE’s...when they are playing hard (watch the VMI video...you’ll see what I mean - on 66 pass attempts, between them, they had 1.5 sacks & 1 QB Hurry). Against APSU, one of those DE’s Stat Line was “1 QB Hurry” - that’s all of it...0 tackles, 0 assists, 0 sacks, 0 TFL’s...and the other one did not play.

They also have 2 outstanding players in their secondary. Against, VMI (66 pass attempts), they had 0 INT’s & 5 pass breakups.

Their other 7 Defensive Players are ‘just guys.’

Mercer’s Offense scored 4 TD’s on APSU’s D. ETSU’s Offense scored 2.

There was no ‘garbage time’ in either APSU @ Mercer or APSU @ ETSU. Teams played mostly starters, with typical rotations, throughout the game.

Furman 54 - ETSU 12
I'll be interested to see what Furman does with two quality DEs.

We run a lot of boots and don't block the backside DE. Sometimes it gives us numbers. Sometimes I think it its a risky play.

Maybe one day we'll see a reverse off that set, because we don't seem to keep the backside defenders honest. They don't get blocked and chase Grainger at full speed.
 #17646  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:14 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:06 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gman wrote:
gofurman wrote:

mentions a lot of our LBs and DBs by name - article starts by saying we are better at 'all three levels of D' so I thought "there is your three points of the article" ... then they don't mention any DL by name which is a little odd though I did notice they say more depth on DL
Great? As good as the Mercer defense? Oh no, I’m scared. Seriously, Furman by 30.
ETSU's defense is better than Mercer's. Of course, the Mercer offense is better than ETSU's, and Furman held that group to 10 points.
Taking away a VERY short field (24 yards) after a blocked punt, APSU’s Offense scored the same number of TD’s (2) on Mercer’s Starting Defense as they did on ETSU’s.

ETSU has 2 outstanding DE’s...when they are playing hard (watch the VMI video...you’ll see what I mean - on 66 pass attempts, between them, they had 1.5 sacks & 1 QB Hurry). Against APSU, one of those DE’s Stat Line was “1 QB Hurry” - that’s all of it...0 tackles, 0 assists, 0 sacks, 0 TFL’s...and the other one did not play.

They also have 2 outstanding players in their secondary. Against, VMI (66 pass attempts), they had 0 INT’s & 5 pass breakups.

There was no ‘garbage time’ in either APSU @ Mercer or APSU @ ETSU. Teams played mostly starters, with typical rotations, throughout the game.

Furman 54 - ETSU 12
I'll be interested to see what Furman does with two quality DEs.

We run a lot of boots and don't block the backside DE
. Sometimes it gives us numbers. Sometimes I think it its a risky play.

Maybe one day we'll see a reverse off that set, because we don't seem to keep the backside defenders honest. They don't get blocked and chase Grainger at full speed.
Yep - MATCHUPS are everything. 45 and 49 DL are awesome players - one may make NFL. 13 and 16 are great DBs. That's probably the best DL in conference as several of us noted on AGS. They will keep that team in many games. They just need to find more O - glad the good guys won but ETSU has a great D.
 #17647  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:16 pm
gman wrote:
gofurman wrote:

gman, SERIOUSLY - last week I happily ate crow. This week you eat crow ! LOL. yes, that DL that lost to VMI ate our lunch.
 #17648  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:20 pm
gman wrote:
gofurman wrote:

I'll be looking for gman and FUBeAR to come admit they are eating crow. FUBeAR said we would score FIFTY+ today. Um ... NOT IN ANY UNIVERSE was that ever happening. gman said FU by 30..

i ate my huge crow last week with my fear of Mercer - I was WRONG! Hope to see these guys man up and admit their mistake this week. Talk is cheap - admit when you are wrong

One thing I think you guys were missing was only 2 of the 4 D studs had been playing w regularity. 45 and 13 I think . Lot easier to double team Nassir player when 49 isn't on the field. Today 49 returned (as I posted the ETSU baord hinted he would) and that caused us trouble. Along w 16 the super DB. They went from 2 to 4 super D players. Can't double team team 2 great DLs. They ate us up in second half.

Great win but for those who predicted a 50 point score fest by Furman I think we need to back off that stuff :D . CREDIT TO ETSU. Their D is legit
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #17657  by Jasper
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:51 pm
Kudos to the players for pulling out a tough win. The entire defense played great all game. Best game of the year for that unit. DeLuca saved the offense with a miraculous catch on a badly underthrown pass. Have no idea what was wrong with Grainger but he was certainly not himself. The offense was disjointed all day, the play calling was questionable, the execution was inconsistent and some decisions were flat out terrible. I am aware that some will now make the ETSU defense into the second coming of Alabama but that is just not true.
IF there was ever a game where a QB switch was called for, it was this one but that is simply not in many coaches' play book. If the RG, for example, is not playing well and is getting penalties, missing blocks, etc., they have no problem bringing in his backup but that is not the case with the QB. There was supposedly a very tight contest as to which QB would start all spring and summer. Is it not then fair to assume that their skill sets are comparable and there is little difference between them? And yet Hamp Sisson did not see the field for even a series in a game like this?
PalaDad, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #17666  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:24 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gman wrote:
gofurman wrote:

Furman 54 - ETSU 12
really? :D
 #17689  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:57 pm
Jasper wrote:
Kudos to the players for pulling out a tough win. The entire defense played great all game. Best game of the year for that unit. DeLuca saved the offense with a miraculous catch on a badly underthrown pass. Have no idea what was wrong with Grainger but he was certainly not himself. The offense was disjointed all day, the play calling was questionable, the execution was inconsistent and some decisions were flat out terrible. I am aware that some will now make the ETSU defense into the second coming of Alabama but that is just not true.
IF there was ever a game where a QB switch was called for, it was this one but that is simply not in many coaches' play book. If the RG, for example, is not playing well and is getting penalties, missing blocks, etc., they have no problem bringing in his backup but that is not the case with the QB. There was supposedly a very tight contest as to which QB would start all spring and summer. Is it not then fair to assume that their skill sets are comparable and there is little difference between them? And yet Hamp Sisson did not see the field for even a series in a game like this?
interesting take. I like Sisson AND Grainger! Hope Grainger is healthy as I did not liek the hit /facemask
PalaDad, QCGlue liked this
 #17699  by MNORM
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:59 pm
Jasper wrote:
Ahhh...the backup QB. Most popular guy on every football team.
 #17716  by FUBeAR
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:33 am
gofurman wrote:
gman wrote:
gofurman wrote:

I'll be looking for gman and FUBeAR to come admit they are eating crow. FUBeAR said we would score FIFTY+ today. Um ... NOT IN ANY UNIVERSE was that ever happening. gman said FU by 30..

i ate my huge crow last week with my fear of Mercer - I was WRONG! Hope to see these guys man up and admit their mistake this week. Talk is cheap - admit when you are wrong

One thing I think you guys were missing was only 2 of the 4 D studs had been playing w regularity. 45 and 13 I think . Lot easier to double team Nassir player when 49 isn't on the field. Today 49 returned (as I posted the ETSU baord hinted he would) and that caused us trouble. Along w 16 the super DB. They went from 2 to 4 super D players. Can't double team team 2 great DLs. They ate us up in second half.

Great win but for those who predicted a 50 point score fest by Furman I think we need to back off that stuff :D . CREDIT TO ETSU. Their D is legit
Furman 50 - Samford 24
gofurman liked this
 #17717  by gman
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:28 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:16 pm
gman wrote:
gofurman wrote:

gman, SERIOUSLY - last week I happily ate crow. This week you eat crow ! LOL. yes, that DL that lost to VMI ate our lunch.
Sorry, but I don’t eat meat at all, much less crow. Seriously, our offense struggled yesterday. Their defense is not that good.
FUBeAR liked this
 #17720  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:09 pm
Decided to watch the replay of the game - have any of you rewatched the facemask by Nasir Player? One of the most flagrant facemasks I've seen in a long time - Grainger's helmet went about ten yards. But - that's not all another ETSU player that was on top of Grainger kinda pushed off of him got up going over him and his foot kicked Grainger in the face.

That kinda crap has a lingering effect. Terrible sportsmanship IMO I hope the SoCon looks at the incident - Grainger is lucky he didn't suffer a neck injury. I don't see how it didn't affect his play afterward.
QCGlue liked this
 #17725  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:03 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:33 am
gofurman wrote:
gman wrote:
gofurman wrote:

Furman 50 - Samford 24
LOL - I know you are joking but at least you have data w Citadel scoring 38 in reg. ETSU D is really really good - DL and DBs/safeties bring it about as best the SoCon will see. I think our LB corps is best but ETSU may have best group of DL and DBs at this point. All you have to do is watch 45 and 49 and 16 etc
 #17726  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:05 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:09 pm
Decided to watch the replay of the game - have any of you rewatched the facemask by Nasir Player? One of the most flagrant facemasks I've seen in a long time - Grainger's helmet went about ten yards. But - that's not all another ETSU player that was on top of Grainger kinda pushed off of him got up going over him and his foot kicked Grainger in the face.

That kinda crap has a lingering effect. Terrible sportsmanship IMO I hope the SoCon looks at the incident - Grainger is lucky he didn't suffer a neck injury. I don't see how it didn't affect his play afterward.

Astro, I thought the same thing. that was one of the worst plays I have seen in a loooong time and in my opinion the ETSU coach shoulda taken the player (Nasir) out for at least a series to discipline him.. I wondered if it DID affect Grainger's play !

Recent Topics

User avatar 2024 opponents

by apaladin

Thu May 16, 2024 3:16 am

Default Avatar Richmond to Patriot League for Football

by Affirm

Wed May 15, 2024 7:16 pm

User avatar Roster Rebuild

by apaladin

Wed May 15, 2024 1:57 pm

User avatar New Spartanburg Minor League Team

by Davemeister

Wed May 15, 2024 11:19 am

Default Avatar New Lax Coach

by Sad Din

Tue May 14, 2024 6:12 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.