• ETSU @ #15 Furman Sept. 28th

#17762  by AstroDin
 Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:33 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:50 am
Why didn't we throw the ball more? 14 attempts is not enough to keep the D honest. I think they were daring us to throw and we didn't. Nothing to combat their rush, no screens, no quick button hook, no QB drawss etc.
Clay might go into that more during his press conference this week - during post-game CCH said they should have rolled Darren out more. Very little gets by coach - and Quarles is also a very astute coach, I'm guessing they chose their moments against the best defensive backfield in the SoCon.
 #17769  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:56 am
I watched the replay last night and confirmed my thoughts. We played well in the first half on offense and were shut down after the fumble. Don't know if the fumble got ETSU fired up(prolly) but it looked like they made some adjustments at halftime. Look at these figures. I made notes as i watched and this may not be 100 percent accurate but it is close.
First half offense:
174 yards:
134 rushing
11 running plays of 7 or more yards.
1 running play with 0 or negative yards
Passing: 4-10 40 yds. 1 TD
2nd half offense:
94 yards
40 yds. rushing
2 running plays of 7 yds or more(Longest 8 yards)
Passing: 2-5 54 yds. 1 INT
5 running plays with 0 or negative yards

Notes: In the first half we threw 5 incompletions on first down. 4 out of 5 times we did not get a first down on that series.
We threw to the over the middle one time which was complete for 10 plus yds and a first down.
Did not target the TE any.
 #17834  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:28 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:56 am
I watched the replay last night and confirmed my thoughts. We played well in the first half on offense and were shut down after the fumble. Don't know if the fumble got ETSU fired up(prolly) but it looked like they made some adjustments at halftime. Look at these figures. I made notes as i watched and this may not be 100 percent accurate but it is close.
First half offense:
174 yards:
134 rushing
11 running plays of 7 or more yards.
1 running play with 0 or negative yards
Passing: 4-10 40 yds. 1 TD
2nd half offense:
94 yards
40 yds. rushing
2 running plays of 7 yds or more(Longest 8 yards)
Passing: 2-5 54 yds. 1 INT
5 running plays with 0 or negative yards

Notes: In the first half we threw 5 incompletions on first down. 4 out of 5 times we did not get a first down on that series.
We threw to the over the middle one time which was complete for 10 plus yds and a first down.
Did not target the TE any.
AP, you are spot on.
NO DOUBT they made better adjustments at half-time. their D coaches out-coached our O coaches as to adjustments - ETSU just didn't have the offense to capitalize on it. Appreciate you getting the numbvers. SO our vaunted offense went for less than 100 yards in the second half in a tie game and our 2nd half passing was 2-5-1.. we threw 5 balls of which 2 completions for us.. one we threw to them. :? :? :? - WOW

I will be interested to watch ETSU, esp if they get their starting QB back. We whines and complained a few years back - JUSTIFIABLY - when we went down to our 4th QB. Well, ETSU is on 3rd QB and it shows.

One other point we had 2 turnovers and a drop or two of the ball ... I didn't notice this at the game in real time but when watched replay no TV we fumbled a pitch with only a few minutes left trying to run out clock. ETSU D had a lot to do with it for sure but we were not crisp on O. Credit to ETSU D and safeties in particular. They asked CH if he told Quarles at that point "no more pitches" - I will take that win.. :D. It's my fault - I was scared of Mercer and we blew them out. I was not scared of ETSU and we scraped by. I am scared of Sam !!! :D
 #17838  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:26 pm
I really think Saturday is a defining moment. Yes I know every Saturday is but this one moreso. I really think this will give us a better clue to where we are and if we are a contender or pretender to being the SoCon's best. We are all optimistic and believe we are heading in the right direction. In a lot of ways this will be our biggest test:
Charleston Southern-FU just has more talent.
Georgia St.- Way over-rated just because they beat UT. They are a bad football team FU should have beat.
VPI- A really bad power 5 team, again a team should have beat if we are who we think we are.
Mercer- Thought they would be decent. They may not win another SoCon game.
ETSU- Think they are good on defense but barely have a pulse on offense. If they can find some sort of an offense this could end up looking like a good win but right now not so much.
Of course, win or lose there is still a long way to go but a win would solidify FU as being the best team and give FU momentum for the last half of the season. A loss and this becomes questionable and gives Samford the inside track. To say this is a huge game is an understatement. Go Paladins!!
Last edited by apaladin on Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
FUKA61 liked this
 #17844  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:00 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:26 pm
I really think Saturday is a defining moment. Yes I know every Saturday is but this one moreso. I really think this will give us a better clue to where we are and if we are a contender or pretender to being the SoCon's best. We are all optimistic and believe we are heading in the right direction. In a lot of ways this will be our biggest test:
Charleston Southern-FU just has more talent.
Georgia St.- Way over-rated just because they beat UT. They are a bad football team FU should have beat.
VPI- A really bad power 5 team, again a team should have beat if we are who we think we are.
Mercer- Thought they would be decent. They may not win another SoCon game.
ETSU- Think they are good on defense but barely have a pulse on offense. If they can find some sort of an offense this could end up looking like a good win but right now not so much.
Of course, win or lose there is still a long way to go but a win would solidify FU as being the best team and give FU momentum for the last half of the season. A loss and this becomes questionable and gives Samford the inside track. To say this is a huge game is an understatement. Go Paladins!!
Not sure I agree we 'shoulda' beat either FBS - that's just a tall order in today's environment. CH himself said the diff in FBS and FCS has widened due to facilities etc. Clesmon didn't have putt putt courses and slides and a 55 MILLION DOLLAR facility in the 80s. The P5 (yes, VT) can just take most all the best guys by showing them the locker rooms etc. Even the GSU teams are playing in the Braves old stadium - that's a big draw to an Atlanta kid.

CH said it is harder to beat an FBS now than it was in his day.

That said, the FCS assessments are right on. Mercer was overrated. CSU though did push NC A&T who is top 25... and ETSU beat a good Austin Peay. So those are decent wins but not superb. Samford and Citadel and Woff will determine our season..

but I think we could either win SoCon -OR go w 8 or 9 wins and get in playoffs. Sure I want to win SoCon but if not that's the advantage of being ranked! We could win 8 games w two fbs losses and at 8-4 (7-2 vs FCS) probably get in based on fact we would drop to 20-25 but then rise w each win back to top 15. they would NOT leave a top 15 8-4 Furman team at home - last year we were about 25th and, of course, 6-4. That's exactly why we got CSU and POINT to appease the "we-just-want-wins-not-SOS" committee.