• At Wofford

#84499  by jesse174
 Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:32 am
we need to play Bowser more and hope he can solidify the boards..he can be a difference maker underneath
 #84500  by Davemeister
 Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:36 am
Fear & Loathing in Little Dog City . . . continued.

Can't think of anything we did well last night. Hope we got whatever it was out of our system.
apaladin liked this
 #84502  by Sad Din
 Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:54 am
IMHO if they dont figure some things out, they gonna get their butts whooped at CID

Theres blood in the water now
apaladin liked this
 #84504  by Sad Din
 Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:15 pm
Did anyone see the 1-3-1 D during tha game? With that kind of points in he paint maybe that should have been tried
 #84507  by Sad Din
 Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:18 pm
what does this say?

#84509  by FurmAlum
 Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:14 pm
It never ceases to amaze me how a team can play so good the last two games and then come out and be so bad against Woffy. We did get outplayed, out hustled, and yes out coached too but I am at a loss to figure out why. There just shouldn't be that big of a difference from playing at home or on the road but there certainly is if you look at our record.

Based on the WCU and Sammy games I thought we had turned the corner and developed into a very good team that could be real trouble to an opponent in the NCAA Tourney if we could make it there again. And that might still be the case.

This kind of thing happens all over the country in college basketball so we're not the only team that has this problem. We came out and played high level basketball with great intensity and great defense in the last two home games but we were not ready to play a high level game against Woffy. But they sure did!

I am hoping we can get this straightened out and it needs to begin next Wed. night. If we don't come out with fire in our eyes on defense and team work/connectedness on offense to get better quality shots then we will get beat again.
QCGlue liked this
 #84510  by Jasper
 Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:26 pm
All these stats being quoted are indications of a lack of intensity - desire if you will. You couple a lack of defense and poor rebounding with 31% shooting and you are going to lose most games. At the risk of blasphemy, in my experience a lack of motivation is the coaches fault as much as the players. The virtually complete lack of an inside presence makes the case for more playing time for Bowser as many on here have suggested. He appears to have upside potential that is lacking in others. At worst he gives us some rim protection and appears to take better care of the ball than others. Vanderwal shows consistent hustle but cannot shoot. We aren’t getting much more from anyone else. Where’s the downside? Reward the hustle - penalize the lack is the way I learned it. This inconsistency is deadly.
apaladin liked this
 #84512  by jesse174
 Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:23 pm
we are better when we spread out and cut to the basket...I hope we get back to that Wednesday!!!
 #84514  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:21 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:18 pm
what does this say?

Actually FU had 13 bench points, Smith had 11.
 #84518  by apaladin
 Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:39 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Did anyone see the 1-3-1 D during tha game? With that kind of points in he paint maybe that should have been tried
Captain Obvious but we are not a good man to man team. We can be for short periods like the first half of the SU game. We gave up almost double in the second half in that game, so yes some zone would probably help.
 #84527  by Sad Din
 Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:38 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:39 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Captain Obvious but we are not a good man to man team. We can be for short periods like the first half of the SU game. We gave up almost double in the second half in that game, so yes some zone would probably help.
Captain Obviuos? So obviuos that the coaches didnt do it....
 #84528  by FurmanATT
 Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:24 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how a team can play so good the last two games and then come out and be so bad against Woffy. We did get outplayed, out hustled, and yes out coached too but I am at a loss to figure out why. There just shouldn't be that big of a difference from playing at home or on the road but there certainly is if you look at our record.

Based on the WCU and Sammy games I thought we had turned the corner and developed into a very good team that could be real trouble to an opponent in the NCAA Tourney if we could make it there again. And that might still be the case.

This kind of thing happens all over the country in college basketball so we're not the only team that has this problem. We came out and played high level basketball with great intensity and great defense in the last two home games but we were not ready to play a high level game against Woffy. But they sure did!

I am hoping we can get this straightened out and it needs to begin next Wed. night. If we don't come out with fire in our eyes on defense and team work/connectedness on offense to get better quality shots then we will get beat again.
This is what I learned many years ago. Sometimes an athlete -- and often collectively because it is a team -- tells himself he'd better be ready and himself just doesn't buy it.
More specifically, sometimes an athlete's very competitive instincts can work against him. My observation was that Wofford came out fighting, put some shock into everyone, and guys started stepping up and trying to win it on their own, and it played right into the Terriers' plans. Furman got frantic, and all the carefully constructed flow got lost. Forced shots that clanked replaced good shots that splashed.
Wofford conducted a clinic on blocking out. They played hard and aggressive, but in terms of careful shot selection, they beat the Paladins at their own game. I didn't think it was a lack of effort as much a lack of composure and pace.
It was a lesson. I'm confident Richey and team will learn from it and react accordingly. Another thing I've learned over the years is that while I know a lot about the team from watching the games, I don't watch them at practice. I watch the games but not over and over. Bob is a conscientious practitioner of his craft. He studies the forest AND the trees.
Debunk the SoCon all you want, but a team pays for missteps, and most every team has them. 5-3 ain't bad. They'll keep getting better and be ready for the tournament. -- MD
hypercycloid, FurmAlum liked this
 #84529  by Sad Din
 Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:28 pm
FurmanATT wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:24 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

This is what I learned many years ago. Sometimes an athlete -- and often collectively because it is a team -- tells himself he'd better be ready and himself just doesn't buy it.
More specifically, sometimes an athlete's very competitive instincts can work against him. My observation was that Wofford came out fighting, put some shock into everyone, and guys started stepping up and trying to win it on their own, and it played right into the Terriers' plans. Furman got frantic, and all the carefully constructed flow got lost. Forced shots that clanked replaced good shots that splashed.
Wofford conducted a clinic on blocking out. They played hard and aggressive, but in terms of careful shot selection, they beat the Paladins at their own game. I didn't think it was a lack of effort as much a lack of composure and pace.
It was a lesson. I'm confident Richey and team will learn from it and react accordingly. Another thing I've learned over the years is that while I know a lot about the team from watching the games, I don't watch them at practice. I watch the games but not over and over. Bob is a conscientious practitioner of his craft. He studies the forest AND the trees.
Debunk the SoCon all you want, but a team pays for missteps, and most every team has them. 5-3 ain't bad. They'll keep getting better and be ready for the tournament. -- MD
Agree. Hopefully this is last years CID "moment". Lots to play for.
 #84532  by FUBeAR
 Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:10 pm
What's "blocking out?"
FurmanATT liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar SOCON FUTURE PRO GAMES

by FUBeAR

Fri May 31, 2024 5:15 pm

User avatar And WC wins the SoCon…

by Flagman

Fri May 31, 2024 10:30 am

User avatar DIVISION ONE

by apaladin

Thu May 30, 2024 8:25 pm

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by cavedweller2

Thu May 30, 2024 6:41 pm

User avatar Changing times ...

by palafan

Thu May 30, 2024 4:42 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.