• Des Kitchings

#27439  by Affirm
 Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:57 pm
South Carolina’s football coaching staff is about to be complete again, and at a modestly lower price.

new running backs coach Des Kitchings, formerly of North Carolina State ... will fill the void left by wide receiver coach Bryan McClendon leaving for Oregon.

The deal is worth $300,000 for one year. The buyout is $40,000.

“I’m very excited to come to South Carolina for several reasons,” Kitchings said in a statement. “One, to join coach Will Muschamp and his staff. I’ve been impressed watching what they’ve been doing to build the program and I look forward to being part of that staff. Secondly, I’m excited about returning to my home state. Personally, it’s a blessing for me to be closer to my parents and family in South Carolina. I’m also excited about coaching that room. ... They have recruited well and there are some young, talented backs on the roster that I’m looking forward to coaching and helping the Gamecocks win games.”

The move will be complemented by Bobby Bentley moving back to tight end, which his coached in 2019, and tight ends coach Joe Cox working with wide receivers, which he did last season at Colorado State.

Kitchings is a native of Wagener and played his college ball at Furman. He had coaching stops at Vanderbilt under Bobby Johnson and Robbie Caldwell; Air Force with Troy Calhoun; and spent the last nine years in Raleigh with Tom O’Brien and Dave Doeren.

Kitchings was a co-offensive coordinator in 2019.

“We’re excited to add Des to the staff,” Muschamp said in a statement. “I was impressed by him in the interview process, with his history with running back play and with his ties in the state of North Carolina, which should be a huge asset in recruiting. He was endorsed by everyone he has worked with and we are fortunate to bring him back to his home state.”

He served as recruiting coordinator for N.C. State at points. Recruiting North Carolina will be particularly important in the current cycle, as South Carolina’s crop of talent isn’t a strong as usual.

Kitchings will inherit a running back room with a good bit of turnover. Four senior backs are gone, and the group adds a high four-star freshman in MarShawn Lloyd, plus freshman Rashad Amos and junior college runner Zaquandre White.

The $300,000 contract saves a good bit of money of South Carolina’s projected staff spending, as McClendon was slated to make $1 million in 2020. McClendon was also signed through 2021, so an obligation comes off for that year as well.

North Carolina State will also pay the difference between what Kitchings is earning and $492,500, as he had signed a deal for that much annually through this year with the Wolfpack.

SOUTH CAROLINA STAFF CHANGES THIS OFFSEASON:
Departures
RB coach Thomas Brown — Left for same job with LA Rams
DL coach John Scott — Left for same job with Penn State
LB Coach Coleman Hutzler — Left for job at Texas
QB coach Dan Werner — Let go
Strength coach Jeff Dillman — Let go
WR coach Bryan McClendon — Same job with Oregon
Director of Player Personnel Matt Lindsey — Took a job at Ole Miss

Additions
RB coach Des Kitchings
OC/QB coach Mike Bobo
TE coach Joe Cox
LB coach Rod Wilson
DL coach Tracy Rocker
Strength coach Paul Jackson
Director of Player Personnel Drew Hughes
 #27492  by fufanatic
 Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:00 pm
So was Kitchings let go at NC State? Seems strange to go from co-OC to RB coach when both schools are in P5 conferences.

Recent Topics

User avatar Preseason '24

by apaladin

Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:47 pm

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by Flagman

Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:16 am

User avatar 2024 -WORSE THAN I THOUGHT

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:19 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:44 am

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.