• Mike Gundy

#28915  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:57 pm
I didn’t think the State of Oklahoma (OSU) could deny a citizen (Gundy) of any privileges granted by the US Constitution (according to the 14th Amendment). I remember that from Dr. Walters’ class almost 40 years ago. (The 14th creates a problem for Dabo through the establishment clause. )

So in the past it might would have been a potential issue if Gundy were fired for his speech (assuming the T shirt doesn’t equate to yelling fire in a crowded theater). But now we recognize that speech is a danger in the hands of the wrong sort of low brow people.
But Gundy won’t get fired. He’ll just get his mind right.

Private companies or colleges can fire people for silly reasons all day long (as long as they have no government contracts, in which case they can’t even fire certain people for good reasons).
 #28918  by FU3
 Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:40 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:51 pm
FU3 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:15 pm
No ,don’t want to shut anyone up just wanted to point out the silliness of your argument. Your assertions that somehow people getting fired or sanctioned for saying things that upset their employers ,customers or public writ large is somehow a new thing is demonstrably incorrect.Your allegation that this is somehow a free speech issue is without merit because there is no Government involvement. Because you have the vapors about Mr. Gundy does not mean that the First Amendment is under assault.In fact the reactions and demands you decry are people exercising the same rights you say are being obliterated.
I think you need a refresher on the word "demonstrably." You haven't demonstrated a single example, putting aside your inability to read (I repeatedly distinguished between enumerated rights and societal norms).
So let me get this straight you know of no time or issues where voicing an opinion that is contrary to what your boss or customers thought would result in you risking your employment.??This will come as a shock to the people who tried to start unions, protest civil rights, complain about work conditions (or for that matter whistle blowers and IG’s )and were fired for their efforts.
Continue to keep us informed though on the rich college coaches saying things that some of their players find offensive and that have currently resulted in their having to proffer a forced apology ... the horrors.
As for your overarching claim that our current tolerance and civility is somehow vastly different than at other times in our past makes me guess history wasn’t your favorite subject.
Roundball, fufanatic liked this
 #28935  by Mr. Taggart
 Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:51 am
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:27 am
FU3 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:00 am
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:48 am
Freedom of speech is basically meaningless if you can't hold a job unless you hold particular political opinions. The Constitution just doesn't work once society no longer accepts its core tenets, regardless of whether there is protection against government action (since non-governmental actions can utterly ruin citizens for exercising their rights).

Employers have been taking “ non governmental actions” in regards to statements made by their employees since long before anyone on this board was born.Using the employment at will doctrine they have legally fired employees for almost anything. Now that a multi millionaire coach is on the hot seat the future of free speech is in question?
Never before has there been such a widespread litmus test to maintain employment with major organizations. Part of the change has to do with technology - the twitter attacks to get people fired are a relatively new phenomenon and don't really have an analog equivalent.

But there has also been a huge erosion in tolerance for other viewpoints. You'd have to be blind not to see that. Hey, maybe you want to shut people up you don't agree with, so you think it's a good thing - either way, it's reality, and unprecedented in US history.
There were a whole lot of textile mill workers who were fired for saying the word "union." That involved having their furniture thrown out of mill-owned housing as well...
 #29094  by apaladin
 Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:30 pm
I didn't even know what OAN stood for. Had to google it. Still don't really know except it is a conservative network. Wish we could go back to when people could have diiferent opinions or views and not have a label put on them or be hated on.

Recent Topics

User avatar 2024 -WORSE THAN I THOUGHT

by apaladin

Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:54 pm

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by apaladin

Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:52 pm

User avatar Preseason '24

by apaladin

Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:50 pm

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by Davemeister

Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:54 pm

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:44 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.