fufanatic wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:35 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:46 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:22 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:14 pm
This is a great thread. Keep it up guys.
I agree that it is a great thread. Unfortunately, I expect that you are being sarcastic in your 2 sentences.
No Sarcasm. Good discussion. Since East Carolina came into Sirrine with Carl Lester Crumpler, (1975?)who is the biggest name opponent outside of the conference tocome to Greenville to play?
UMass, James Madison or Jacksonville State? All playoff games. Hofstra and they don't have football anymore. I think UConn and UCF came to Furman before going FBS. While I understand Sluggo's point about people not being super excited about the current SoCon opponents anymore, I truly believe that if Furman gets back to top 5 in the country again, PS will again be able to at least sell out the home side to get us over 10K. Maybe more. At this point, the average college football fan has probably heard of less than 5 FCS schools and Furman ain't one of them. So there really aren't a ton of great options for big-time FCS out of conference games. James Madison is not traveling here. Montana, North Dakota State, Northern Iowa, etc. are not traveling here. Our best bets are Jacksonville State or Kennesaw State probably and even then most people haven't heard of them.
The average football fan (and the average person in general) probably has heard of these universities:
Delaware, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine, Villanova, Georgetown, Penn, Columbia, Yale, Harvard, William & Mary, Richmond, Holy Cross, Brown.
I expect we could get a home and home contract with at least 3 or 4 of those, and others that I named elsewhere, for the purpose of recognition and public interest.
I have no problem with Jacksonville State and Kennesaw State, but they are not the only options.
No offense, but none of those teams are going to draw any additional attendance in Greenville. I don't think there's a single team in the FCS that would cause an average college football fan in Greenville or the area to come to Paladin Stadium. Furman being really good could bring out an average fan. Bringing in the few FCS teams that travel well could help with numbers, but I'm not exactly sure who that is. Again, I don't believe James Madison or NDSU are traveling for a regular season game to PS.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:21 pm

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by Flagman

Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:16 am

User avatar 2024 -WORSE THAN I THOUGHT

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:19 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:44 am

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.