• App State ranked #25 in FBS

#5220  by Bootie
 Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:12 am
sluggo wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:01 am
Bootie wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:07 am
Any talk or desire of Furman going FBS seems silly to me.

Is there anyone here who is willing to suggest it is possible or could be even remotely successful for Furman to move up??

I never said it was possible to go back to exactly what we used to be.
In case anyone forgot; Furman was FBS (Div 1A) from 1978 to 1981.

As far as being successful in FBS (Ummm, we already were); and I totally believe that would take care of itself in time now.
FBS teams can recruit better than FCS, simply because they are FBS.
FCS teams can recruit better than D2, simply because they are FCS.

Bottom line : I would have never signed with Furman if I had known my senior year would mean stepping down to FCS.

I'll never forget the statement that convinced me to sign with Furman :

"Furman is in the same division as Clemson and USC, so you are not taking a step down to sign with them."
-- Deane Fowble 1978 HC RNE

What's the 30 year plan? Is it Division 2? Because that's where it seems to be heading.
If so, then go ahead and put Benedict on the schedule now because their stadium is bigger and better than PC's and a better location.
Probably make more money.
Still not sure what you're looking for Furman to do. If you were in charge of the direction of Furman Football, what would your long-range (30-year) plan be?
 #5222  by fufanatic
 Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:09 pm
There's very little comparison to 1970s/80s college football and today other than that a TD counts as 6 points.

Most of FCS football, hell most of college football outside of Power 5, is in a tough situation and I'm not sure what the answer is. But it's not moving up to FBS where you have to add scholarships, stadium seats, etc. before losing money on a bowl game if you are lucky enough to make it out of the Sun Belt or some other lowly conference. If Furman could move up tomorrow and join The American conference then great, but that's not happening. Marshall has been up for over 20 years now and has probably reached its peak at Conference USA. No thanks.
 #5224  by sluggo
 Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:31 pm
Bootie wrote:
sluggo wrote:
Bootie wrote:

Is there anyone here who is willing to suggest it is possible or could be even remotely successful for Furman to move up??

As far as being successful in FBS (Ummm, we already were); and I totally believe that would take care of itself in time now.

Bottom line : I would have never signed with Furman if I had known my senior year would mean stepping down to FCS.

"Furman is in the same division as Clemson and USC, so you are not taking a step down to sign with them."

What's the 30 year plan? Is it Division 2? Because that's where it seems to be heading.
If so, then go ahead and put Benedict on the schedule now because their stadium is bigger and better than PC's and a better location.
Still not sure what you're looking for Furman to do. If you were in charge of the direction of Furman Football, what would your long-range (30-year) plan be?

Make More Money!
 #5226  by Bootie
 Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:30 pm
sluggo wrote:
Bootie wrote:
sluggo wrote:
Bootie wrote:

Make More Money!
Sluggo, what a vague response. Can you please help me with some detail on that?
 #5227  by gman
 Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:50 pm
My answer will not happen anytime soon. Furman should drop football and put those funds into the sport that can make a lot of money and give us more national recognition, which is basketball.
 #5228  by sluggo
 Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:56 pm
Bootie wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:30 pm
sluggo wrote:
Bootie wrote:
sluggo wrote:
Bootie wrote:

Make More Money!
Sluggo, what a vague response. Can you please help me with some detail on that?

There is more money in FBS, so that would be my most logical step.
That's why other schools are doing it. It's a long term goal; but truly worth it because the clock will keep ticking and the day of winner or loser will eventually arrive.

Details develop based on the next road block; i.e. who gets hired next.

Do you trust the Billionaire in Coastal Carolina to know how to make money?
It might be a good idea to trust him since we can't beat him.

Do we have to "know it all" ourselves every time, or is it OK to learn from someone else every now and then?
 #5230  by sluggo
 Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:17 pm
gman wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:50 pm
My answer will not happen anytime soon. Furman should drop football and put those funds into the sport that can make a lot of money and give us more national recognition, which is basketball.

I would agree with you if basketball had gotten more national recognition than football in any of the last 40 years.
Seriously : The sloppy mess against Clemson was more national recognition than basketball ever saw.
The football team can get clobbered and still get more national recognition.

Basketball -> Find a "W" against anybody who ever mattered on this list :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furman_Pa ... basketball

I hear where you are coming from as far as potential; but I have no realistic examples from the past to back it up.
Davemeister liked this
 #5231  by Bootie
 Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:21 pm
Sluggo... isn't it a great deal more expensive to be an FBS program? Attendance or stadium capacity requirements, additional members to the team roster, scholarships, etc...? Do you think it's feasible for a school of Furman's size to reasonably accomplish such a transition and maintain it?
 #5236  by sluggo
 Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:27 pm
Bootie wrote:
Sluggo... isn't it a great deal more expensive to be an FBS program? Attendance or stadium capacity requirements, additional members to the team roster, scholarships, etc...? Do you think it's feasible for a school of Furman's size to reasonably accomplish such a transition and maintain it?
I agree with everything you are saying; but I'm also not seeing that people are happy with what the program is now.

I said it back in 1981 that the stadium needed 22k seats instead of 13k.
Dick told me I was right about that after the App State game.
Back then it would have been affordable; BUT NOOOOOOOO! Let's wait until we are desperate and it cost $25 Million.
So now let's wait another 30 years so it can cost a billion and then we can rehash all the same old excuses that got us here to begin with.
 #5238  by Bootie
 Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:08 pm
sluggo wrote:
Bootie wrote:
I agree with everything you are saying; but I'm also not seeing that people are happy with what the program is now.

Back then it would have been affordable; BUT NOOOOOOOO! Let's wait until we are desperate and it cost $25 Million.
So now let's wait another 30 years so it can cost a billion and then we can rehash all the same old excuses that got us here to begin with.
Happy or not, if it's not feasible to move up now, financially or otherwise, it's a moot point, isn't it?

Personally, I'm happy with where the program is and is heading, btw. We may be out of the running this season, but we competed for the national playoffs last year, and were close to doing so this year. I predict we will compete for the playoffs in coming years, too. As long as the program is doing that and putting an entertaining product on the field, I'm content.
Flagman liked this
 #5242  by Flagman
 Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:48 pm
Bootie speaks the truth. We expanded the stadium from 13K to 16K and have filled it maybe a half dozen times. We no block off two sections of the visitor side with the Ingles banners. I'd like to see us tear down those sections so it doesn't appear so empty. Let's face it; none of our opponents travel as well as Furman. It didn't even appear to me that many player-parents from Samford showed up for the game. The same can be said of Wofford the week before; and they are having a good year.
 #5245  by sluggo
 Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:57 pm
Bootie wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:08 pm
sluggo wrote:
Bootie wrote:

Happy or not, if it's not feasible to move up now, financially or otherwise, it's a moot point, isn't it?

Personally, I'm happy with where the program is and is heading, btw. We may be out of the running this season, but we competed for the national playoffs last year, and were close to doing so this year. I predict we will compete for the playoffs in coming years, too. As long as the program is doing that and putting an entertaining product on the field, I'm content.

The point may be moot; but it's only moot until someone has an answer.

Re: entertaining product on the field :
Between 10% and 30% of "fans" leave at halftime, so the entertainment value must be lacking.

Making the playoffs after not winning the conference is not my definition of competing for the national championship.
Wofford won the conference and stopped us in the playoffs; which was totally predictable.

Not to mention that it would take between 5 and 10 FCS playoff games at home to equal one decent FBS bowl game in revenue.

See "Payout" : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Dollar_General_Bowl (App State)

Scroll down to FCS on this link :
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh ... f569ea2704

I'm looking at the math.
 #5247  by sluggo
 Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:04 pm
Flagman wrote:
Bootie speaks the truth. We expanded the stadium from 13K to 16K and have filled it maybe a half dozen times.

Yep, that's why I'm ditching my king sized bed; because I've only filled it with more than 1 lady about a half dozen times.

:lol:

I'm looking at the "payoff".
 #5248  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:29 pm
sluggo wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Bootie speaks the truth. We expanded the stadium from 13K to 16K and have filled it maybe a half dozen times.

Yep, that's why I'm ditching my king sized bed; because I've only filled it with more than 1 lady about a half dozen times.

#5250  by sluggo
 Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:45 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:29 pm
sluggo wrote:
Flagman wrote:

My entire mission of this thread was to make you post something.
I win!

PS : That ain't dog hair in the shower drain. ;)

Recent Topics

User avatar Preseason '24

by apaladin

Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:47 pm

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by Flagman

Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:16 am

User avatar 2024 -WORSE THAN I THOUGHT

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:19 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:44 am

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.