• Transfers and NIL

#48601  by apaladin
 Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:59 pm
Players that are starters on their team are entering the transfer portal in droves. This new transfer rule is not good for college football. The NIL thing is even worse. Their is a report today that Georgia and/or Auburn has offered the Oklahoma QB between 1 and 2 million dollars to transfer. He entered the portal this afternoon. Let the bidding begin. Now it becomes clear why so many star players are transferring. Of course none of these “stars” will ever set foot inside a classroom.
Affirm liked this
 #48602  by FU3
 Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:53 am
This has been coming for a long time. The NCAA has been mismanaged for decades and universities can’t get enough of the revenue generated by television and donor money especially by the top 50 or so programs where the real bucks reside.College coaches leaving multi million dollar contracts for even more millions while their teams are still playing kind of sets the tone.I think all of this is awful for college sports but I don’t fault the players at the upper levels who are now getting to feed at the money trough.
Affirm liked this
 #48604  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:58 am
It would be funny if somebody like Harvard got some alumni to kick in a few hundred million each, moved up to FBS, paid the players NFL salaries and just bought the FBS championship for good. I’d love to hear the complaints from the SEC.
 #48615  by Affirm
 Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:39 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:58 am
It would be funny if somebody like Harvard got some alumni to kick in a few hundred million each, moved up to FBS, paid the players NFL salaries and just bought the FBS championship for good. I’d love to hear the complaints from the SEC.
I doubt the Ivies care to do that.
I can see certain schools such as Stanford, already in FBS, doing it.
Basically, I can imagine a lot of schools like Georgia and Alabama and Texas A&M and Texas already wanting to, and already being able to, do something like you are describing. Of course, all 4 of those are SEC schools, or the 4th soon will be.
Also, I can see schools like Vanderbilt doing it to be just more competitive within their own conferences.
If a school with an ultra-rich alumni base does not do it, it indicates to me that they consider football not as important as others do, including not as important to their need for money and prestige. They (and "they" probably includes my Stanford and Vanderbilt examples) already have the money and already have the prestige.
 #57403  by Furmanoid
 Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:40 am
Roundball wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:44 pm
The transfer portal is completely out of control.
I’ve completely reversed field on the portal. I’ve grown to really like it, especially in FBS where it is really shaking things up. Teams can’t just suck up all the best players and stock pile them on the bench so nobody can get them.

Sure it would be great for kids to show loyalty but why should college athletes be the only people in their generation to do the loyalty thing? Loyalty just isn’t a thing anymore.

And coaches do make stupid decisions that end kids’ careers on the bench. It almost happened to Joe Burrows. We’ve expected them to just sit there and take it when a coach’s pet plays in front of them for 4 years.

Even worse is when the coaches never had any intention of playing a guy in his position, but don’t tell him they’re gonna switch him to receiver or defense until he gets to campus. Maybe the craziest thing is when they appear to sign guys who clearly have no chance of playing at that level. The guys often recognize this after a week or two of practice. So do they spend most of their day busting ass just pretending they will get off the bench someday or do they drop down and play?

I’m starting to like the portal a lot. We just need to learn how to do the portal. It’s a new science. But for us it might make more sense to look for DII and DIII overlooked superstars than to look for DI failures.
Roundball liked this
 #57404  by Roundball
 Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:50 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:40 am
Roundball wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:44 pm
The transfer portal is completely out of control.
I’ve completely reversed field on the portal. I’ve grown to really like it, especially in FBS where it is really shaking things up. Teams can’t just suck up all the best players and stock pile them on the bench so nobody can get them.

Sure it would be great for kids to show loyalty but why should college athletes be the only people in their generation to do the loyalty thing? Loyalty just isn’t a thing anymore.

And coaches do make stupid decisions that end kids’ careers on the bench. It almost happened to Joe Burrows. We’ve expected them to just sit there and take it when a coach’s pet plays in front of them for 4 years.

Even worse is when the coaches never had any intention of playing a guy in his position, but don’t tell him they’re gonna switch him to receiver or defense until he gets to campus. Maybe the craziest thing is when they appear to sign guys who clearly have no chance of playing at that level. The guys often recognize this after a week or two of practice. So do they spend most of their day busting ass just pretending they will get off the bench someday or do they drop down and play?

I’m starting to like the portal a lot. We just need to learn how to do the portal. It’s a new science. But for us it might make more sense to look for DII and DIII overlooked superstars than to look for DI failures.
Great points.
 #62841  by Furmanoid
 Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:27 am
Roundball wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:07 am
This is sickening. REPORT: Ohio State Lost Out On Highly Touted 5-Star Recruit Because They Couldn’t Afford To Pay Him Enough https://www.totalprosports.com/ncaa/ohi ... ugh-money/
Some of those old private rich kid schools probably have grads with enough money to outbid UGA and OSU. I’d love it if some of them were crazy enough to want to buy some natties. Obviously Stanford could buy it every year if they wanted as could several Ivies. I’d love to see UGA or Bama pounded in the first round of the playoffs by MIT or University of Chicago.
FurmAlum liked this
 #62843  by HB88
 Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:45 am
First of all, this story seems more sensational than probable. And even if the basic premise is accepted, THE Ohio State University has thousands more alumni and supporters than UGA could dream about. Their pockets run just as deep as any institution out there. Not buying it, pun intended.
 #62973  by FurmAlum
 Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:47 pm
Heard on the news the other night that N.C. or TN, I can't remember what state, voted to allow NIL deals in high school athletics. HaHaHaHaHa.
 #62991  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:20 am
HB88 wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:45 am
First of all, this story seems more sensational than probable. And even if the basic premise is accepted, THE Ohio State University has thousands more alumni and supporters than UGA could dream about. Their pockets run just as deep as any institution out there. Not buying it, pun intended.
Looks like the Bucks might not have fared so well financially post-pandemic … https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports ... A5MRVO2FM/
2/15/22
“1. Total revenue for the year was $106.8 million. That is down down almost $127 million from the previous year…”
“4. Football revenue was still down more than 60 percent. Football brought in $41.9 million, down from $115.5 million the previous year…”
“5. Total spending was cut by more than 20 percent.”

Doubtful anything related to Football is being cut back at UGa these days.

OTOH … OSU’s NIL Collective is ranked ahead of Georgia’s…

7. The Foundation (Ohio State)
John Ruiz and Spyre Sports made headlines early on, but The Foundation continues to deliver wins for Buckeye athletes. The group was founded by former Ohio State quarterback Cardale Jones and longtime booster Brian Schottenstein. The collective recently brokered a $550k deal with Value City Furniture, American Eagle and Designer Shoe Warehouse, along with help by Columbus-based NIL Management.

C.J. Stroud, Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Denzel Burke and TreVeyon Henderson all profited off the partnership. But the innovative ideas have not stopped there.

The group is holding a fundraiser in August where Ryan Day, Chris Holtmann and players will be on hand. A table for 10 including a photo with Holtmann and Day can be purchased for $10,000. Schottenstein previously told On3 that all profits from the event will go directly to student-athletes.

Bottom line: The Foundation is doing everything it can to live up to Day’s $13 million ultimatum. Donations are on the rise. That could be bad news for the rest of college football. Oh, there are also former Ohio State athletes and coaches on the board – including Urban Meyer and J.T. Barrett – who have a pulse on how to capitalize on NIL, too.

11. Classic City Collective (Georgia)
Georgia coach Kirby Smart recently bragged about 95 Bulldog players receiving a NIL deal of some sort. And UGA-focused group Classic City Collective has played a major role in a lot of those deals.

Spearheaded by former UGA assistant athletics director and compliance officer Matt Hibbs, Classic City has provided opportunities for all of Dawg Nation to “contribute and engage with the athletes they passionately support through a variety of NIL activities, including social media endorsements, in-kind promotional deals, appearances, meet and greets, autographs and digital content.”

Yet, it goes well beyond that, too. Classic City partnered early on with DGD Fund and Icon Source to expand opportunities. The DGD Fund provides Georgia fans a unique opportunity to change the game of charitable giving by supporting causes in the local community. Icon Source is a digital marketplace that brings agents, athletes and brands together.

Plus, Classic City recently set up an office and studio in downtown Athens, which will allow them to create and provide exclusive content for UGA student-athletes. That original content approach is something you’ll see from more collectives moving forward.

Maybe UGa just wanted it more.

BTW - FUBeAR finds this entire conversation just..icky.
 #62992  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:27 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:47 pm
Heard on the news the other night that N.C. or TN, I can't remember what state, voted to allow NIL deals in high school athletics. HaHaHaHaHa.
It was Tennessee. They’ll all permit it once they see HS Players moving to other states to play and/or it’s challenged in court. Here’s a current state-by-state breakdown of the rules for HS kids.

https://biz.opendorse.com/blog/nil-hig ... mpionship.

If not already, Collectives will be established by HS Booster Clubs and we will see openly acknowledged pay-to-play in HS Sports…then Middle School, then RecBall…reckon could this make it to toddlers playing in ball pits…FUBeAR is gonna get ahead of the curve and develop a business model for that!
 #63010  by Louis Tully
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:46 am
Believe me pay to play is already existent in Rec Ball. I officiated youth football for 2 decades.
 #63014  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:13 am
Louis Tully wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:46 am
Believe me pay to play is already existent in Rec Ball. I officiated youth football for 2 decades.
C’mon … really?

Coached a MS/RecBall Team that was multi-year Champs….lost only 1 game in several years time frame and we heard about other Teams’ Coaches supposedly giving Mama a job to get Jr. on their Team, but we sure weren’t doing it, so FUBeAR didn’t believe those rumors.

You saying you can confirm that direct cash money payments are paid to RecBall Players and/or their families to play for X or Y Team?

Recent Topics

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Sun May 19, 2024 1:57 am

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by Dins&Heels

Sat May 18, 2024 6:22 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sat May 18, 2024 11:04 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Sat May 18, 2024 4:44 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.