• Samford at Furman , Wed 7 PM

#84335  by Jasper
 Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:16 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:19 pm
I like Jasper's strategy. Get the ball up the court. Do not pass back and forth upteen times and do not get trapped in the corner. I like us having 2 ball handing guards in the game at the same time ie Pegues and Whitt.

Also don't let the bigs be handling the ball in the backcourt.

I think we'll be just fine. Looking forward to a great game.
I played in a top level NYC high school league where pressing was common - with all sorts of variations. We practiced against it every week. On a road game to a particularly intense rival, they picked us up when we were coming up out of the subway in the Bronx several blocks from their school. We laughed like crazy and beat them like a dirty rug. GO DINS
 #84336  by Sad Din
 Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:02 pm
IMHO the trick to the press is not stopping during the inbounds and knowing where the outlets are. Seen some games and once the PG stops especially around mid-court its all over

This means that all three guards will have to handle the ball so they are not gassed.
 #84340  by FUpaladin08
 Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:07 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:37 pm

Agree, we will probably see a lot of the small team that ended the game Saturday with AW being the tallest at 6’5” and 4 guards.
This logic helps moving past the press but hurts defending their big guy. I’m sure that’s what coaches have to contend with when playing Samford. Do you want to beat the press or defend the post?
 #84343  by DoomedDin1127
 Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:27 pm
This Samford squad is tough as heck. If we can get the ball up the court to beat the press, get scoring from outside, and limit turnovers then the Dins will come out on top! Easier said than done of course
 #84344  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:38 pm
I know it’s last minute but I have a friend that has 5 tickets he’s giving away for free if anyone wants/needs them. I guess shoot me a DM and I’ll put you in touch.
 #84345  by cavedweller2
 Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:46 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:02 pm
IMHO the trick to the press is not stopping during the inbounds and knowing where the outlets are. Seen some games and once the PG stops especially around mid-court its all over

This means that all three guards will have to handle the ball so they are not gassed.
The trick is when dude on the other team steps in to press you lower your shoulder and plant him. They will back off.
FUBeAR liked this
 #84349  by FurmAlum
 Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:55 pm
Best defense of the year so far. Just need to quit throwing the ball away and make a few more shots and we can win this game. I like the strategy to beat the press so far but the bigs need to be aware of their pesky little guards trying to reach in at steal the ball when they put it on the floor.
 #84352  by FurmAlum
 Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:06 pm
That was a big time win!

I thought even though it was a home game for Furman that Sammy got most of the calls. They reached in and hacked all night and no calls and we get a bunch of ticky tacky calls against us, esp against Hughey and Williams. Right or wrong?

No matter, on to Woffy.
dornb, Sad Din, QCGlue liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Preseason '24

by apaladin

Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:47 pm

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by Flagman

Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:16 am

User avatar 2024 -WORSE THAN I THOUGHT

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:19 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:44 am

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.