• Tourney in Greenville

#14182  by MidlandsPaladin
 Tue May 21, 2019 7:45 am
I wonder how this might affect Greenville's run as SoCon Baseball Tournament host? Due to this new AAA policy, the ACC is looking at AA and A stadiums, and Fluor Field has been mentioned as one of the possible sites:

FAREWELL, DURHAM

The ACC is still trying to decide where next year's tournament will be played. The event is moving out of Durham because of a change in scheduling policy for the Triple-A International League, of which the Bulls are members. The policy switch prevents the Bulls from reserving the dates for the tournament.
 #14184  by apaladin
 Tue May 21, 2019 8:20 am
I doubt very seriously that it will come to Greenville. ACC schools are skeered it will give Clempson an unfair advantage. That is why it left Greenville before.
 #14186  by The Jackal
 Tue May 21, 2019 9:00 am
apaladin wrote:
I doubt very seriously that it will come to Greenville. ACC schools are skeered it will give Clempson an unfair advantage. That is why it left Greenville before.
Not to be contrarian, but UNC-CH is closer to Durham's stadium than Clemson is to Flour. UNC is arguably the better program and has been more successful this season (including a 31-7 mark at home).

I don't see why the ACC would be worried about a powerhouse program having a home field advantage in Greenville when they don't seem concerned with the same situation in Durham.
 #14187  by Flagman
 Tue May 21, 2019 9:13 am
Is Greenville even trying to get the ACC tournament? Is this the last year for the SoCon in Greenville?
 #14189  by MidlandsPaladin
 Tue May 21, 2019 9:24 am
Flagman wrote:
Is Greenville even trying to get the ACC tournament? Is this the last year for the SoCon in Greenville?
The State paper said recently that The Drive has made it known that they are interested in hosting the ACC. I can't find anything about future sites of the SoCon tourney, so I'm not sure how long the current contract with the SoCon lasts.
 #14191  by apaladin
 Tue May 21, 2019 2:13 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:00 am
apaladin wrote:
Not to be contrarian, but UNC-CH is closer to Durham's stadium than Clemson is to Flour. UNC is arguably the better program and has been more successful this season (including a 31-7 mark at home).

I don't see why the ACC would be worried about a powerhouse program having a home field advantage in Greenville when they don't seem concerned with the same situation in Durham.
The big difference is Clempson supports their baseball team much, much better than UNC does. UNC is strictly a basketball school.
 #14196  by apaladin
 Tue May 21, 2019 11:38 pm
gman wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:28 pm
Flagman wrote:
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sport ... 78749.html
That's the exact same article I posted a link to except it was in the Columbia paper. Gotta love the way newspapers operate, or don't operate these days.
 #14389  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:26 am
It was announced this week that the ACC tourney is headed to Charlotte for 2020. That is good news in terms of the chances that Greenville keeps the SoCon tourney. Does anyone know anything about future SoCon tourney sites? Including next year?
 #14395  by gman
 Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:51 am
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
It was announced this week that the ACC tourney is headed to Charlotte for 2020. That is good news in terms of the chances that Greenville keeps the SoCon tourney. Does anyone know anything about future SoCon tourney sites? Including next year?
Maybe it's good for the few Furman fans that attend the tournament, but it's not good for the city of Greenville.
 #14405  by apaladin
 Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:01 pm
gman wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:51 am
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Maybe it's good for the few Furman fans that attend the tournament, but it's not good for the city of Greenville.
I don't know I think the tourney was responsible for selling some meals and hotel rooms. I saw both of Furman's losses and I think if we had a serious contender FU attendance would be much better. They had decent "crowds" Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Maybe the new AD will address the current state of FU baseball. The only other alternative is Charleston which is further away from most teams and the Citadel is coming off it's worst season in history. Right now Greenville is the best place for it.
 #14406  by apaladin
 Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:02 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
I though the decision that cost Durham the ACC tourney was a AAA decision so how did Charlotte get it which is AAA also.
 #14411  by gman
 Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:09 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:02 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
I though the decision that cost Durham the ACC tourney was a AAA decision so how did Charlotte get it which is AAA also.
From the Charlotte Observer. “Durham has hosted the tournament four of the past five years; however, new scheduling rules by the International League, which includes the Bulls and Knights, bar teams from blocking home dates. This rule prevented Durham from hosting in 2020 because the Bulls are scheduled to play at home during the week of the tournament, but the Knights will be on the road. The new rules also kept the ACC from reaching a four-year deal with Charlotte as it hoped. Because of this, the deal is just for 2020.”

Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sport ... rylink=cpy
 #14524  by apaladin
 Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:30 pm
Anyone know if the SoCon tourney will return to Greenville in 2020? I believe this was the last year on the current contract wasn't it?

Recent Topics

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by Flagman

Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:16 am

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by bigpurple75

Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:22 am

User avatar 2024 -WORSE THAN I THOUGHT

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:19 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:44 am

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.