Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:16 pm
Wofford is out.
Colgate beat JMU.
 #7287  by gman
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:55 pm
Does anyone care?
 #7291  by Yadkin
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:04 pm
That horseshite league called the Southland got what it deserved today. What a crock. Yet they’ll be crowing about getting a playoff win....over PL San Diego.
 #7295  by Affirm
 Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:47 pm
gman wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:55 pm
Does anyone care?
Yes, people care.
Iowa State is #23 in the nation.
Drake is Pioneer.
I believe Pioneer is nonscholarship.
So it’s remarkable.
Additionally a large number of people on this message board seem to think it was so awful that Furman did not get in the playoffs (I agree it was somewhat disgusting and somewhat unfair).
So, why would you say “does anyone care?”
It seems that we think it’s extremely important to make the playoffs.
It seems that “we” care.
FUBeAR liked this
 #7319  by gman
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:06 am
The question was, does anyone care that Wofford is out and Colgate beat JMU? I know we care about not getting in, but that was our own fault.
 #7330  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:12 pm
gman wrote:
The question was, does anyone care that Wofford is out and Colgate beat JMU? I know we care about not getting in, but that was our own fault.
Wofford losing hurts SoCon’s case. Not to mention beat by a Big South team. So that hurts Furman’s case.

I saw many posts here in the last few weeks that Colgate would get waxed by JMU (or Furman if we played them). I’m 50/50 on if we would have beat Colgate in the regular season (we were playing terrible at that point), and I’m not so sure we go to Colgate in the playoffs and beat them after seeing this.

So yea...I care about those two outcomes.
 #7331  by Bootie
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:44 pm
gman wrote:
I care, and I doubt I'm alone. I'm still interested in the playoffs even if Furman isn't in, particularly of our SoCon teams. I often look to this site for results of those games (or any relevant, FCS games) and people's thoughts on them. Both of those teams are quite relevant to Furman football and FCS this season.
FUpaladin08, din23, FUBeAR liked this
 #7343  by Affirm
 Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:42 pm
I care about the playoffs because they ARE relevant to Furman. I care about the playoffs because they are far more meaningful for numerous reasons than many or most of the extraneous “BOWLS”. What is a “BOWL” anyway, except for BCS playoffs, than just one of too many single post-season games?
I would not want to waste time watching or attending these kinds of matchups, for example (to name a few):
-NTSU-USU in Albuquerque
-GSU-EMU in Montgomery in the Camellia Bowl in the Crampton Bowl (what??!!)
-MTSU-ASU in the R+L Carriers at 9pm
-UAB-NIU in the Cherbundi Bowl
-SDSU-Ohio wherever
-Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla with Marshall-SF
-FIU-Toledo in Makers wanted bowl
-WMU-BYU somewhere hard to watch
-Jared Bowl with Memphis and Mighty Wake
-Dollar General for Buffalo-Troy in Mobile
-NOVA Home Loans Bowl for Ark St-Nevada
-Fresno St-Arizona St
-La Tech-Hawai’i
blah, blah, blah, blah
Etc., etc., etc., etc.
Ridiculous.
Who cares about FCS playoffs?
I say more people should care about FCS playoffs than about FBS “BOWLS”, but they generally do not because of all the ridiculous hype and money that all the ridiculous bowls get, and that even just the overblown concept of “we’re going to a BOWL”, “BOWL eligible” (wow!), “BOWL bound “ etc gets.
FUBeAR, Jasper liked this
 #7637  by cavedweller2
 Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:59 am
Maine to the semifinals. 23-18 over Weber St last night. The Ogden cold didnt faze the Bears. It is cold in Maine too.
 #7638  by Jasper
 Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:26 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Maine to the semifinals. 23-18 over Weber St last night. The Ogden cold didnt faze the Bears. It is cold in Maine too.
I thought we would have beaten either of those teams. And I cared enought about the FCS playoffs to watch most of the game. I will not watch a second of the faux bowl games between now and when the major games are played in late December. The only games worth watching now are Army-Navy and the FCS playoffs.
 #7639  by saltyshaker
 Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:04 pm
colgate gave up long drive on bisons 1st series but only down 7 mid 2nd qtr.game on espn
 #7640  by Affirm
 Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:54 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:26 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
I thought we would have beaten either of those teams. And I cared enought about the FCS playoffs to watch most of the game. I will not watch a second of the faux bowl games between now and when the major games are played in late December. The only games worth watching now are Army-Navy and the FCS playoffs.
Additional “inane rankings” by affirm, a proud veteran of the US Army:
I certainly agree about all the bowl games being overblown. I do not agree that Army-Navy necessarily is more interesting than bowl games. Army-Navy is greatly overblown, though I understand why it gets so much hype and why it is considered worthy of the hype. If forced to watch one, I would choose watching Army-Navy over most bowls. I would rather watch FCS playoff games in most cases.
(By the way, keep in mind that USAFA has a football team at a level equivalent to that of USNA and USMA. They get to play Army and Navy during the season, but they miss out on the end-of-season hype.)

Recent Topics

Default Avatar SOCON FUTURE PRO GAMES

by FU3

Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:32 am

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:28 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:29 pm

Default Avatar And WC wins the SoCon…

by Roundball

Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:43 pm

Default Avatar DIVISION ONE

by tim

Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:15 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.